Air Marshall W.A. Curtis
The Curtis collection donated to the AFMSA
Dr. Glenn Curtis the grandson of Air Marshall (AM) W.A. Curtis recently donated the collection to Colonel (Ret’d) Don Matthews, Chairman of the Air Force Museum Society of Alberta.
The Curtis collection
The collection includes the honours and decorations that the Air Marshall was awarded during his lengthy service to Canada. The AM joined the army in 1915 and transferred to the Royal Naval Air Service in 1916 and RAF in 1918.
He recorded 4 aircraft destroyed and 9 forced down out of control. During WW 2 as a Wing Commander he helped organize the BCATP, served as the Deputy Air Officer Commanding the RCAF Overseas Headquarters and as a member of the Air Council.
In 1947 he was appointed Chief of the Air Staff with the rank of Air Marshall. He pushed for the acquisition of the CF-100 and other modern aircraft during his term in office.
He retired in 1953 and held significant positions in the civil aviation field where he continued to play a major role in the development of both civil and military aviation.
A true giant in the annals of RCAF history and Canadian aviation.