Adélard Raymond served as a Royal Flying Corps officer during the First World War.
In 1920 Raymond and Wilshire formed R & W Air Service and on May 12 qualified for commercial pilot licenses 27 and 26. During the summer they used three JN-4s for passenger flights in support of a Kiwanis Club campaign in aid of handicapped children. In 1921, R & W Air Service merged with its Montreal competitor, Canadian Aerial Services Ltd. Active in the RCAF Reserve in the 30’s, he helped to organize the 118 Squadron (Auxiliary) at Montreal, becoming its second commanding officer. When it was activated in the Second World War, the Squadron was stationed at Saint-John, N.B., for Coastal Artillery Cooperation.
A special temporary assignment, involving the clandestine delivery of U.S. military and naval aircraft to France, took Squadron Leader Raymond to the French Antilles in the summer of 1940. He served in Canada for the rest of the war in various commands, ending as an Air Vice Marshal and Air Officer, commanding No.1 Air Command. Continuing in the peacetime RCAF Reserve, he had a term as Aide de Camp to the Governor General. During the formative years of Canadair Ltd, Raymond was a member of their board of directors.
Awards: CBE, ADC, Chevallier of the Legion of Honour (France), Croix de Guerre avec Palme (France)